Search Here

Friday, May 31, 2013

Beginning My Journey [Before Picture]



Every year in January the gyms fill up, but by February it seems people have fallen off the bandwagon for various reasons.  I've heard things like "I'm just too busy," "I'm too tired," "I don't like the gym," etc.  The reason I stopped going shortly after January began was because of an injury.  I was angry and frustrated.  I took a tumble that wasn't my fault.  The most frustrating thing is that I had just gained the best mindset about my fitness goals; this year was going to be different.  I wasn't going to drown myself in food and sit on the couch when I got home from work. 

Well, it turned out that that is exactly what I ended up doing.  I could barely walk.  I went to the doctors; a few x-rays and an MRI later I found out that I had torn both meniscus in my left knee.  Cool.  The doctor told me if I was still having problems after a few weeks of physical therapy I would need surgery.  Fast forward about three weeks- I needed surgery.  I scheduled it for the next week after that [February 21, 2013] and before I knew it I was laid up on a couch for a month!  I could barely move and I couldn't go to work.  Even after the month of sitting on a couch, attempting to bend my knee as instructed by the physical therapist, I still couldn't walk normal, go up or down stairs, or get in the shower or my car very easily.


Sexy hospital socks [February 2013]

Not being able to exercise is terrible for a person's body image.  My confidence took a hit.  I was felt fat and I didn't think what went into my body really mattered because hey, I already looked gross.... :/

Thank god for my boyfriend.  He knew I wasn't happy and encouraged me to get my gym membership back and start going with him.  Even with my ankle-to-thigh brace on, he got me to the gym and to work upper body with him.  The next day I was so sore! I missed that feeling so much; it felt like I had accomplished something.  He also got me back into cooking for us.  I love planning healthy nutritious meals.  It's better for our bodies and our wallets ;)

It is incredibly hard to keep in mind that results aren't over night.  I won't look like Megan Fox tomorrow [I wish....and so does the boyfriend] even if I work my hardest and push myself.  It is now the end of May and I still can't run for more than three minutes without a sharp reminder that my knee hasn't fully healed.  You may know from my last post that I started taking pole classes, and so far it hasn't hurt my knee.  I am actually going again tonight....SUPER EXCITED!

In the past two months I have gained a better attitude, diet, and exercise routine.  I love seeing how much progress I have made from one week to the next.  I never knew how much potential my body really had.  I am not only becoming strong physically, I am becoming stronger mentally.  I can handle stress better, I look forward to working out instead of dreading how terrible I'll look in my gym shorts, and I can wear tight clothes without worrying about rolls.  Gross.

Here is my 'before' picture.  I have been working out for two months, but I don't think I could ever show the world my real 'before' pic.  It is too embarassing still.


My 'Before' picture-Sorry about the toilet and awkward face. lol [May 2013]
I still need to figure out how to upload my pole videos.  I will also be back with measurements :)

<3 Lauren


P.S. I can't believe today is the last day in May.  This year is flyyyyying by!

P.P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BEST SISTER EVER EVER EVER!






No comments:

Post a Comment

About Lauren

My photo
Wisconsin, United States
I created this blog to track my life. After graduating college with a B.S. in Food Science, I moved half way across the country for a job. Life has really changed since college, I'd say for the better. I have taken up some new hobbies and I'd like to bring you along on my journey as I learn and struggle through it all. Please feel free to contact me [everydaylaurenblog@gmail.com] with comments, jokes, pictures, really whatever you want to share with me. Enjoy!